Monday, June 25, 2012

Rock of Ages Nail Polish Strips from Sally Hansen

By now, Rock of Ages has been in the theatres for 2 weeks and has cemented itself as a colossal dud that people seem to be laying all the blame on Tom Cruise for its failure.  I don't know about you but I just sort of think that if you have a film that has two not so big names as the leads and then you pepper that same film with supporting actors that are a million times more talented than your leads, then you  film is going to have some problems.  Rock of Ages was one of the movies that I had actually hoped would have a polish tie-in, not because I was going to see the movie (never wanted to see it, probably never will either) but because I thought the polishes could be fun.  Instead we got the Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Polish Strips and some pretty uninspired designs.  I only picked up one of this said designs, Sticks & Stones.  Its name makes little sense to me unless it's trying to be the most half assed reference to the Rolling Stones that you can find.

 The better name for these polish strips would have been "Frankenstrat" since the designers had the good sense to literally copy the red, black & white paint job of Eddie Van Halen's most famous guitar called the "Frankenstrat" because he cobbled it together out of different guitar pieces but mainly out of Fender Stratocasters.  I don't see why they wouldn't go ahead and name it the right way...

link
 Yeah, well, this was my first experience with nail strips and I found that I wasn't too nuts about them.  The peeling, fitting, pressing and scraping just was so much of a hassle that it would have been easier to just slap on a few coats of anything else and be done with it.  I won't argue that for the price (I got them on sale 2 for $8) it's far cheaper than going to a salon and having a manicurist do this for you but don't print on the box that it'll last for over 8 days when I couldn't get it to last 8 hours...

You can see the obvious problem at the top of the pinkie & middle finger, those chunks just came off right away and many chips quickly followed on the rest of my nails that resulted in my removing S&S two days after application.  Tsk!  Well, here's Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat in action with Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away".  I hope that there's enough cowbell in there for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment