Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Good, The Bad & the Amazing Hugh Jackman

I made it through the first week of my new job in one piece and I can certainly say that for an accounting firm, it's one of the more liveliest places I've worked at in a long time.  I'm hoping things keep going well!  But since I'm back in an office setting, I've got a nice calm colour to show you and a not so calm colour.  First up New York Color's Bryant Park, a muted gold with a nice amount of shimmer.  


Now, I know what you're thinking, enough with the New York Color already but, dammit, they make a good product!   If a polish allows me to apply it 1/2 an hour before I go to bed, then that's a polish I'll keep buying and using.

I wish I could say the same thing for Grape Fizz by Revlon, yet another scented polish and the second line of scented polishes that they have released this year.

Ok, I have to say it.  How awful this this polish?  It's not a question, it's a statement!  When I saw it in the store I thought "Oh, so pretty!  Like a cross between Urban Decay's Toxin & OPI's Merry Midnight."  I was not expecting the watery, see through washout you see in that photo.  That's three coats and it's full of bald spots thanks to its uneven application.  I took twenty two photos and that's the best one I could get with this massive disappointment of a polish.  It's possibly the worst polish I've bought in years and I have 436 bottles of nail polish.  To say this one's the worst is saying a lot!  Grape Fizz is $5 CDN that I could have flushed down the toilet!  The best thing I can say about it is that it smells like grape flavour.

I wore that terrible polish when I went to see Hugh Jackman In Concert last night at the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto. My sister & I took my Mom as a birthday present but to be honest, it was a present for me too!  Hugh Jackman has been bunching up my panties for 11 years now (looking at him should be counted as one of my hobbies) and I have sat through some horrible movies (Kate & Leopold, Someone Like You) and a couple of great ones (The Prestige, The Fountain) to gawk at the man that I can officially say is the most gorgeous male I've ever seen with my own two eyes:
That's Not  a Good Picture...
That's a Good Picture!
Being the big old Tony Award winning Broadway lover he is, I was expecting that the show would have a significant amount of cheese to it and don't get me wrong, I love musicals and I love cheese but I wasn't expecting Hugh Jackman to mount one of the most entertaining shows I'd seen in years.  I am not babbling through a haze of lust to say that the show is fantastic and if there's anyway you could see it, you should!  Jackman's energy and enthusiasm is infectious, he's a great singer, he's extremely funny and has a gift for comedic improvisation that had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and my Mom can't stop talking about his ass shaking.  Yes, Hugh Jackman shaking his ass...
......!!!!
Whoa, sorry about that, I just drifted away in my own mind there for a minute!  Within the space of 2 hours  Jackman sang numerous medleys of the best of Broadway (including "I Feel Pretty"), did the Readers Digest version of The Boy From Oz (his Tony winning role), told amusing family stories, turned the intro of the Music Man into a rap, chatted up audience members, even dragging up a man from his seat and making the poor guy dance while he sang "Fever" and it was all awesome.  But the two real stand outs in the show made my evening for two completely different reasons.  Number one is this happened:
When Leia Met Logan!
"Carrie Fisher is in the audience tonight!" Jackman announced and being the nerd girls my sister and I are, we jumped out of our seats screaming "OHMYGODWHERE!!!"  Fisher is in town with her show, Wishful Drinking (that show's fun as well) so she stood up, they traded quips, hugged and giggled and probably inspired Fan Fiction.  Maybe I should write "The Tale of Princess Leia & the Wolverine" myself because I had a huge nerdgasm when all of this happened.  Geeks live for these moments!

Secondly, when Jackman and crew broke into Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Over the Rainbow", I cringed.  I really dislike that version of the classic tune and I didn't want to hear it again regardless of who was singing it but my attitude changed when two didgeridoo players came down the aisles (I've never heard them played live before) and Jackman was joined onstage by an aboriginal woman singing along in a native aboriginal language. It was amazing, people were crying. The woman was Olive Knight, who was a co-comissioner of the Bringing Them Home Enquiry that was established by the Australian government in response to efforts made by indigenous communities concerned about the lack of awareness of the history of the forcible removal of the Stolen Generation.  The work of Knight and her peers helped lead to the Australian Federal Parliament Apology in 2007.  It wasn't just a performance, it was an honour to be in the presence of someone like her.

I'd like to take a moment and welcome my new follower, Christina, to my blog!  I'm really glad you enjoy my prattle!  Thanks so much!

I'm going to leave you with one of my favourite songs of all time, Courtesy of Wolverine!

No comments:

Post a Comment