Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Polishes That Work For Work

I started a new job this week and along with the usual nerves one gets when going into an all new situation, meeting new people and facing brand new challenges, one of the things that I worry about is the all important first impression.  You only get one chance to make one and as it often is in a business setting, you have to play it safe until you know when you can let your more funky side come out.  So I thought I'd take a few spins with some polish colours that that make a statement but not a super loud statement!
Mindful Mocha by Sally Hansen is a deep chocolate brown creme.  I can imagine that this colour is not for everyone and would probably suit those with a deeper skin tone.  As I am some one with darker skin, I love how this looks.  It's a like a little upward boost from a nude or neutral (and I love those kind of shades).  This is two coats and although there was a minor chip early on in wear, it wasn't a huge chip so it wasn't really an issue for me.
Curry Up Don't Be Late by OPI was one of my favourite colours from their India Collection and now that I come to think of it, it was the only colour I bought from the collection.  A pale sheer gold, my photo fails to capture the really lovely, reflective shimmer in this polish.  That's three coats and it's still quite sheer but it's subtle and is a great choice for summer wear.  Just an aside, something is wrong with my camera and it is failing to snap a sharp picture lately.  I have to figure it out because it's really bugging me!
NYC's Lincoln Square Lavender reminds me a bit of OPI's Sparrow Me the Drama and although they aren't dupes by any means, I might choose to wear LSL or SMD if drying time was an issue.  NYC is always good value for my money, as I usually spend around $2 CDN for one of their polishes and that's always a win in my book!
This one is from my sister's stash and if it wasn't for the fact that we share stuff, I would have rushed out and bought my own bottle.  Desert Rose by Rimmel is a dusty orange creme that exudes mutability to me.  I know I'm using fancy $3 words to describe it but so many orange polishes are such in your face colours, it takes something calmer like DR to stand out from the rest.  Of course it didn't last "Up to 10 days" like the bottle says but it lasted for 3 and that's good enough for me.  Rimmel is a brand that, for some reason, keeps slipping my mind when I'm shopping or looking for something new.  That's odd since I don't dislike the products from them that I do own.  Maybe something is missing the mark for me by way of marketing but the brand doesn't stick out for me.
So there's some tasteful shades for you and I have to admit that I'm going to be slightly frustrated with having to wait until the weekend to wear a blue or green polish. Hey!  How about some 1980's cheesy goodness with Canadian rockers Loverboy?




No comments:

Post a Comment